Monday, November 12, 2018

Dialogic Cinephilia - November 12, 2018

"The Deadly Sex Trafficking Cycle in American Prisons." The Guardian (June 29, 2018) ["The Trap investigates how prisons and jails across the United States have become recruiting grounds for human traffickers, who are targeting incarcerated women and trafficking them out of correctional facilities and into pimp-controlled prostitution."]

Heath, Roderick. "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari, 1919)." Ferdy on Films (October 26, 2018)

---. "The White Buffalo." Ferdy on Films (October 24, 2018)





Tchobanian, Tiffany. "Homecoming." Film Threat (November 12, 2018)

Toohey, Elizabeth. "Colette in the #MeToo Era." Film International (October 22, 2018)

"The Top 25 Censored News Stories of 2017 - 2018: #25 Sheriffs Using Iris Recognition Technology along US–Mexico Border." Project Censored (October 2, 2018)

West, Steven. "A Basic Look at Post-Modernism." Philosophize This (May 21, 2018)

---. "Derrida and Words." Philosophize This (June 25, 2018)

"FRUITVALE STATION Ryan Coogler, USA, 2013, 85m:  Coogler’s remarkable debut feature explores the life and harrowing death of Oscar Grant (played by Michael B. Jordan), a 22-year-old African-American man killed by police in the early hours of January 1, 2009. Six months after sweeping both the Grand Jury Prize and the Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival, Fruitvale Station opened on the same weekend that jurors in Florida acquitted George Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin. [Rachel] Morrison’s gripping, exploratory Super 16 on-location camerawork dramatizes the unseen complexities and personal relationships of Grant’s inner circle with a startling sense of urgency, emotion, and the unflagging awareness of a preventable tragedy too often seen in the news cycle." - The Female Gaze (2018) 



"When I look through a camera and record moving images, I have new powers. I am acutely aware that I am in my own very particular body when I film—because of what a physical job it is, because of the way people look at me, because a woman with a camera is still uncommon, because a woman who has the agency a camera brings is still a sight to behold, because I get close to people and sometimes touch them, because I feel when I film, because I am aware of the ways my shortcomings can misrepresent others... The list goes on and remains grounded in the physical act of being present when I film. Sometimes I am gazing, sometimes I am moving, sometimes I am swooning with discovery, always I am searching. This is my ever-evolving female gaze." - Kirsten Johnson, "The Female Gaze." (2018)







No comments:

Post a Comment