Thursday, April 4, 2013

Roger Ebert: 1942 - 2013

The New York Times: Roger Ebert, Popular Film Critic, Dies at 70



In 1967, new in my job at the Sun-Times, I walked into the Clark Theater and saw Persona. I didn't have a clue how to write about it. I began with a simply description: 'At first the screen is black. Then, very slowly, an area of dark grey transforms the screen into blinding white. This is light projected through film onto the screen, the first basic principle of the movies. The light flickers and jumps around, finally resolving itself into a crude cartoon of a fat lady.' And so on. I was discovering a method that would work with impenetrable films: Focus on what you saw and how it affected you. Don't fake it.


Chicago Sun-Times -- Roger Ebert dead: Film critic had the soul of a poet

Sound on Sight -- The Artful Roger: A Thank You To Roger Ebert

No comments:

Post a Comment