Friday, November 13, 2015

Italian Turkey Macaroni Soup

2 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 large carrots, diced
1/2 an onion, diced (I would usually use a whole onion, but I was being sensitive to others that are not fond of onions)
1/2 cup Woodbridge Chardonnay (reserve the rest of the bottle for drinks ;)
8 cups water
2 cups of free range/organic chicken stock
1 pound of free range/organic ground turkey (you could also use leftover oven roasted turkey or cubed turkey breasts)
1/2 cup os Basil Pesto (I used Kirkland's)
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (I used one this time, I think I would use two the next time)
1 tablespoon rosemary, chopped (I used more than that because I have a huge plant and like rosemary)
3 tablespoons thyme
2 cups of macaroni (optional, traditionally not a part of the recipe, but the person I was making for wanted it added. I just grabbed some elbow macaroni that was in the cupboard)
1/4 tablespoon salt & cracked pepper, to taste (I forgot this and it tasted fine)
Grated Parmesan cheese over the warm soup in individual bowls
Crusty bread or good whole grain crackers to accompany the soup

Preparation
Serves six to eight

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the turkey until the very last glimmer of pink is left and take it out and set aside, leaving some drippings in the Dutch oven. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, the carrots and onion, sauté until vegetables are tender about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add Chardonnay, stir to break up any browned bits from the bottom. Add water, chicken stock, and stir. Add turkey, basil pesto, tomatoes, beans, and herbs, stir to mix thoroughly. Add macaroni. Lower heat and cover, simmer for 30-45 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper. Serve warm with parmesan cheese and a toasted baguette/crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment