Saturday, December 12, 2020

Dialogic Cinephilia - December 12, 2020



In a year in which we have had to pull back and not be so physically present in the lives of others I could think of no better series to watch for the first time or to revisit than the Wachowski Sisters 'Sense8' (Netflix: 2015 - 2018). As I reflect on this transformative show that reshaped my long meditation on empathy, relationships, connectedness, love and freedom, I wonder if it was somehow brought into our lives to help us deal with an impending time of socially distanced reality and to evoke a strong sense of the importance of truly seeing & accepting people as they are (not just as we perceive them to be). A truly remarkable show that opens anyone to the possibilities of humanity, no matter their background or perspective, as long as they are willing to open themselves to its optimistic narrative (in a time when our culture celebrates the cynical and cruel - think of the majority of shows). How do we stay connected in these times? How do we make authentic connections? How do we see others as they truly are? How do we deal with the fear of the other? How do we love others in ways that are not controlling?

“I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.” -- Frida Kahlo

We live in the best of times in which we are able to learn about the world and its incredible diversity of cultures/beings/places/perspectives in a way never historically possible. We live in the worst of times when we are able to isolate ourselves completely from anything different from our own narrow view/conception of the world/reality.  The choice is yours!




No comments:

Post a Comment